Friday, August 14, 2009

Daring Myself??

I have been thinking...scary I know. Is it possible to dare yourself? If yes, then that is exactly what I am going to do. If no, then I am starting a new trend. I am going to dare myself. This is where the quote at the top of the page comes into play.

This whole going into college thing has made me think, alot. Think about the future (obviously), friends, family, and me. I lay in bed at night thinking about thousands of different things, about what will and what wont change. I have to be honest though, I have been thinking alot about myself lately. Who am I? Who do I want to be? How will I change? What about me will remain the same? etc, etc. So many questions and as of right now have no answers.

So between me thinking and me thinking some more I have realized something. Something that could be my saving grace. As I go into college I will have no expectations. What I mean by no expectations is that no one will have any preconceived notions of who I am or what I will be like.

I will not be defined by anything. For my entire life people have judged me on previous knowledge about me. Growing up I was "John and Karen's girl." In grade school I was the "teacher's pet." In middle school I was in "enrichment." Then on to high school "Taylor's girlfriend." Only to name a few of my many definations. Not one of these things are bad and I love/loved being associated with every one of them. But the second I step onto that Linfield College campus I can be anyone I want to be. These people will have no knowledge to define me by. How liberating but also so scary. How will I possibly portray myself to others? Then it hit me, I will be just Amy.

Ok back to the quote now. "Always do what you are afraid to do"-Ralph Waldo Emerson. So what has this got to do with me going to college being "just Amy?" Everything! I have never been one to do anything overly different or crazy. Why? Well because it was the unknown. AKA, scary. I have decided that I am no longer going to be scared. I am going to go to Linfield and not be afraid. I will do things I have always wanted to do but been too scared to try. I will wear my cute heels, laugh my loudest laugh, and make new friends because that is what I want!

I am daring myself to be Just Amy!

1 comment:

  1. Jessica HollandsworthAugust 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM

    That sounds like an amazingly great plan! Now is the time to be AMY! I will be excited to read about you and find out how things turn out for you. AND I better see you in 4 years to see what AMY looks like! Have fun and enjoy, this is what life is about!

    ReplyDelete