Monday, August 31, 2009

Random Happenings & Thoughts

I LOVE college! It has been one of the craziest weeks of my life but I am 100% loving this new experience. No class hasnt started as of yet but this whole experience has already been so fantastic! I dont really have any one specific topic for this blog but I figured I would just let you know about a few random happenings of my week.


First Brittany is fantastic! We are getting along so well! We are actually having moments now. Yesterday we rocked out entirely to Dont Stop Believing by Journey...how can you not love someone who rocks out to that song?

Both of us are trying to really hard to be outgoing and yesterday we were very successful! The Greek Life kids last night put on this small dance for everyone. Brittany and I walked up to a couple of people. With the absolutely perfect first line from Brittany "Hey, did we play signs with you guys?" We reintroduced ourselves and had great converstations with them. Then before we knew it people were actually coming into the "circle" that we had started! It was a great experience and felt so good to start something instead of being a follower.

So I have an interesting first that happened last night as Brittany and I walked back to our dorms we got asked to attend our first Frat party. And, yes, I did decline. I did not attend the party nor do I plan to do something of that nature in the near future either. I just thought that we was kinda...comical, to an extent, but also higher on the creeper scale as well.


Instead of going to the Frat party Brittany and I held a movie "party" in our room! We had six other girls just hanging out in our room! Our room was totally packed and everybody had a good time, eating our saltine crackers and diet caffine free coke. =)

I am completely loving my time here at Linfield and already feel 100% comfortable and I hope that that transfers over to the classroom as well. But if the professors are as nice as my faculty advisor I truly believe I will have fun even in the classroom. Speaking of the classroom, that would bring up the obvious question. "What classes are you taking?" Well I will give it to you.

Reading Critically and Writing Well: MTWTh
Intro to Personality Theory: MWF
History of World Civ I: MWF
Exploring Psychology: T (evening class)
Colloquium: Th (evening class, the transition class for freshman)
Volleyball

Yes, I am completely aware that this is a lot of classes. Total it is 16 credits, which is alot for a freshman. The reason I will be attempting so many credits is because as a Psychology major they want you to take the Exploring Psychology. The way the class works is that a different psychology professor comes in each week to go over their specific emphasis in psychology be it developmental, biopsych, or clinical. Basically they show you what professions are available to you through psychology. I also found out that playing volleyball will count as a credit! This is part of the reason that it seems I am taking so many credits. I have no idea how I will manage to do it all but my peer advisor, Nadia, told me that if at any time I feel overwhelmed or a class doesnt interest me that I should drop the class. Her reassurance that everyone will drop a class at some point and it is completely normal made me feel much better. So from the time class starts on Wednesday I have two weeks to drop a class without receiving an incomplete on a course.

I am SO looking forward to the family coming to visit this weekend! I am hoping that I will be able to travel around McMinnville a little more and learn about the area. But of course I just cant wait to see them and spend time with them!! Brittany and I are going to try to talk G-Pa and Dad taking us shopping for a few more dorm things! =)

In a nutshell orienation weekend has been crazy but I have been able to meet a huge number of people (from both ends of the spectrum!!!) This weekend only made me more excited about getting to spend my next four years here. I believe I am beginning to see the glimpse of what will be some of the best years of my life!! =)

PS I have defianetly been daring myself and stepping outside my box lately, and actually never remember feeling stupid or dumb for taking! I absolutely throughally (sp sorry) and completely love being JUST AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well done. Be smart and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I can see you are having a great time.. Uncle Joe and I hope you make some wonderful memories through this college journey. Have fun and be safe. Love and Hugs Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete