Wednesday, August 19, 2009

To McMinnville We Go

I knew today was going to be just the beginning of few stressful and emotional days and how right I was...

I woke up this morning realizing that the day I never thought would come has finally arrived. When you talk about college it seems to far off into the future that its not worth dwelling on. Then suddenly its here and completely in your face. I pulled myself out of bed and started to put the last few things together that I needed for school.

After Dad had spent an hour on the phone trying to work out the kinks with my printer he went over to Gramma and Granpa's to pick up Big Blue (G-Pa's truck). We figured out awhile ago that the Explorer just wasnt going to cut it. Dad pulls up and Katie starts to take my stuff out to the truck. About the time the truck is half-way full Gramma and G-Pa pull up to tell me good-bye.

Now I knew this way going to be hard, telling the G-Parents good-bye. G-pa helps Dad get a tarp over all the stuff in the back and now theres nothing keeping us there. Gramma gives me a hug and then G-Pa. Ok, no tears yet I am doing pretty good. Then G-Pa hugs me again, not doing quite as well at this point the throat is starting to get tight. Then they start to walk away and get into the car as Gramma tells me to make sure to eat breakfast every morning. (It makes your brain work better.) They start to pull away. Its official now the tears are coming and coming strong. As the car disappears Mom gives me a hug and I attempt to put myself back together.

As I walk back in the house I know that its time to tell all eight of our animals good-bye. Definetly not looking forward to this part. Family members can come and visit me while I am at college, animals cant. I tell all the kitties good-bye, tears and hissing included, and head to the back. I walk out the back door and there they are, all three lined up inside their kennel just staring at me. Not able to withstand their puppy eyes I go back in the house and bring them all biscuits. Once I am in the kennel with them the tears are coming so fast I cant see clearly. Eventually I tear myself away and head back to the front.

Now its time to go. I climb in the back of the truck and take deep breaths. We drive away and this is officially it, I am headed to college. We do our usual and stop to get food on the way out of town. Then finally we are really truly on the road. Just as I start to get into road trip mode a low "beep" sounds throughout Big Blue. Uh-oh, that cant be good. Then shortly the curse words ensue. The engine is overheated. We pull over to the side of the road and turn off the A/C. We let it cool and then start again...now its WAY overheated. We call G-Pa and decide to head back to the Tri-Cities. (Luckily we were only 10 minutes out of town). Then its really really overheated. Dad pulls over, again. Oh well this really cant be good...something smells hot. Dad pops the hood, oh steam, again not good. Oh hey look, theres water coming out of one of the hoses. Now its time to wait for Gramma and Granpa to come and save us.

So there we are sitting and waiting to be rescued. Then here they come, Gramma in the car and G-Pa in the motorhome and our problems are solved. We pack up the motorhome and ta-da we are on the road really really truly this time! I decided that God just wanted to remind us all that life is an adventure and be prepared for everything.

That was our adventure on my day headed to college. Tomorrow is move in day and the volleyball meeting. Yes, I am nervous. Yes, I am excited. The trip may have started rocky but it was a good one, one that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment